Opera Company, Derby
After the Lawrence Lee Opera Company - a well known feature of post-war
Derby theatre - folded in 1959, the NOCD rose, phoenix like, from
these ashes when a number of singers decided that they still wished
to work together.
42 years later, it remains the only dedicated performer of 'grand'
opera in the city.
The company performed its first full scale production The
Tales of Hoffmann in 1962. Early performances were at Derby
Railway Institute, and The Central Hall, but since 1976, The New
Opera Company's home has been Derby Playhouse, often with a secondary
production at the Derby Guildhall.
Whilst the company remains true to its core ideals, with past productions
ranging from Fidelio to The Marriage of Figaro,
it has also ventured into operetta with Merrie England
and Die Fledermaus, and major choral works including
Haydn's Creation and the Rossini Stabat Mater.